At SBS, we pride ourselves on making Australia a more cohesive society every day. We embrace difference and thrive on diversity like no other media company. We have developed a reputation as one of the world’s most respected broadcasters with a dynamic team of forward thinkers, and now we’re looking for fresh talent to join us.
The Audio and Language Content team is seeking an experienced digital editor to join us in the position of Senior Digital Editor. Audio, Languages and Content produces the most linguistically diverse public broadcasting in the world, providing Australian-focused news and information in 68 languages via live radio, podcasts, digital and social platforms.
About the role
Reporting to the Digital Managing Editor, the role of Senior Digital Editor is to develop and deliver digital strategy for the South Asian language group and sub-edit and coordinate news content across the programs and in collaboration with SBS News. This includes the editing and delivery of distinctive and innovative multi-platform content for the network.
More specifically, the duties include:
- Plan and manage digital content projects and multi-media daily news content across 9 programs.
- Work with SBS News to coordinate the execution of exclusive stories breaking within South Asian Language communities across the network.
- Drive the South Asian Language program’s daily social media strategy. Plan and assist digital staff to execute social content strategies to build the relevant language programs’ social communities.
- Sub-edit news and commissioned content for the programs, using your expert knowledge of media codes and guidelines and copyright law to ensure content is fair balanced.
- Work with SBS News and the Social and Content teams to identify, develop and amplify SBS network priorities and exclusive content across all South Asian language program platforms.
We are looking for someone with advanced editorial skills and proven experience in a leading digital editorial role.
More specifically, you will have:
- Demonstrated experience in professional digital journalism in a leading editorial role, including the production and promotion of multiplatform content (video) and ability to coordinate and sub-edit news, sport and current affairs across departments.
- Advanced digital skills, using a CMS and production tools: Photoshop, video production and editing software and audio editing software preferred, as well as an advanced knowledge of SEO. You will need to advise teams on how to roll out a story on different platforms and provide quality feedback.
- The Senior Digital Editor must be an experienced master planner. Use tools like Slack or our in-house media management system to design and implement successful communication and planning strategies for the teams in conjunction with SBS News.
- You must be a highly organised, process driven individual with the ability make editorial calls quickly within a dynamic environment. You will be a leader, a problem-solver and a star collaborator.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and a keen interest in the Indian language communities in Australia.
- Fantastic culture
- Onsite health and wellbeing programs
- Free gym membership and an active social club
- Being part of an organisation dedicated to making a positive social difference
- Possibility to be based either in Sydney or Melbourne bureau