We strive to make SBS, Australia's most distinctive media organisation focused on delivering a clear promise to our audiences, To inspire them to seek out different perspectives, to feel a sense of connection, belonging and empowerment. We are looking for a passionate person who wants to come on this journey.
About the role
The Head of Scripted will be responsible for developing, managing and delivering a pipeline of original commissioned programs for SBS Television and SBS On Demand with an emphasis on programming that reflects Australia's diverse and multicultural society. Critical to this role is identifying and developing distinctive new content that is original, popular and diverse, consistent with SBS's strategic aims and charter. This is a full-time, 3 year fixed term contract.
This is a key leadership role within the TV & Online Content Division, the role will contribute to the overall Division's strategy. In addition, this role is responsible for:
- Commissioning scripted programs for SBS Television and SBS ON DEMAND that successfully deliver the SBS content strategy, charter and audience objectives.
- Identifying and developing new content ideas that are original and innovative, consistent with SBS’s charter and which help build SBS’s reputation for distinctiveness.
- Championing best practice inclusive approaches to scripted storytelling including working with key creatives from under-represented communities.
- Giving constructive input into the development of new scripted works including the provision of expert script notes as well as active participation in writers’ rooms and other story development forums.
- Leveraging an extensive and well-established network of key Industry contacts including producers, production companies, casting agents, actors, screenwriters and directors to ensure SBS can create the most ambitious and successful slate of programs.
- Managing various talent development activities associated with new and emerging creative talent in association with other TV sector organisations.
- Proactively financing new scripted programs through various means including pitching and negotiating pre-sales, distribution advances, international co-productions, and Australian funding partnerships.
- Ensuring, that productions are delivered to the very highest standards including being delivered on time and on budget whilst also adhering to the SBS Codes and guidelines.
- Collaborating with other areas of SBS including Newscaff, ALC, SBS Learn and other content genres to create additional complementary programming that adds depth and context to issues explored within scripted programs.
- Presenting the SBS scripted strategy at the SBS Roadshow and other Industry events.
We're looking for someone who has:
- A strong understanding of the domestic and international TV marketplace, including knowledge of TV, the digital media landscape, and an awareness of trends in both the linear and streaming content platforms.
- Proven track record of successfully developing drama series to production
- A minimum of 10 years relevant work experience in scripted television production at a production company, network or streamer
- Credits as a Commissioner or Executive Producer on at least three drama series.
- Proven commitment to creating content that champions diversity
- Education – BA/BS degree, related field preferred or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of the scripted development/production processes
- Strong existing relationships in the creative community with writers, producers, talent, agents, buyers, media platforms, etc.
- Knowledge of all video offerings across global television/film landscape
- Demonstrated skills in developing and maintaining effective business relationships
- Experience across feature film, short form series and prime time series preferred
International experience highly regarded and experience in a funding agency desirable.
You can expect a supportive environment within a dynamic media organisation and benefits such as free onsite parking (subject to availability), free gym access, retail discounts at select stores and many other perks.
At SBS, we embrace difference and we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. We want your vibrancy, language, culture, experiences, and abilities to brighten our halls, light up our screens and strengthen our team.
SBS also recognises that everyone is unique, and you may require some adjustments to ensure you have the best opportunity to apply and put your skills forward for consideration. If we can make some adjustments to the SBS recruitment/interview process to better enable you to shine, please let us know.