Applicants must identify as being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent. SBS considers that being Aboriginal and/or a Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for this position under s 14 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW).
SBS is one of the world's most unique and innovative media organisations, producing trusted, meaningful and engaging content that exists for all Australians to inspire, support and celebrate the diversity of our multicultural society.
Our purpose, for the last 40 years, has reflected and explored the evolving diversity of Australia, investing in initiatives to deepen its connections with communities, sharing their stories and giving a voice to those often unheard, with the aim of increasing understanding and respect of the differences that make up Australia.
SBS is a truly distinctive network, showcasing multicultural, multilingual and First Nations stories otherwise untold in the Australian media.
NITV’s vision is to be recognised as having meaningful and positive impact on the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.â¯ Our purpose is
- To support and strengthen the oldest living culture in the world.â¯â¯
- Celebrate and champion the place of unique, inspiring storytelling through Indigenous voices.â¯â¯
- Share culture, language and lessons today to develop strong leaders and champions tomorrow.â¯â¯
- Use our strengths to foster change, champion equality and make an impact.â¯â¯
- Build a legacy of strong, sustainable Indigenous Media for the future.â¯â¯
The Indigenous Standards Editor is responsible for undertaking their work in a way that reflects SBS’s Charter, Vision and Values and complies with relevant SBS policies, procedures and practices.
At SBS, we expect you to be audience obsessed, be bold and brave, embrace difference, participate fully and ensure that we look out for one another. We are all working together to fulfil SBS’s purpose and create a more cohesive society.
- Production guidance and advice - Provide guidance and advice to News and Current Affairs journalists and editorial leaders in the development of Indigenous content and or working with Indigenous practitioners, to help journalists and editors make robust editorial decisions, across all programs and platforms. This includes advice at planning, development and production stages.
- First Nations perspectives - Ensure that SBS News and Current Affairs includes diverse First Nations stories and perspectives in the daily run down across TV, Online, Radio, and Social Media.
- Editorial operational - Respond to or delegate (as most appropriate in each case and following the workflows in place) to requests for subediting scripts and articles.
- Community relationship management - Develop and maintain positive relationships with key Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stakeholders, particularly as they relate to issues of culture and knowledge, social cohesion, and the media.
- Liaison & Cultural Understanding - Liaise with News and Current Affairs following the agreed workflows in an environment of growth for understanding First Nations perspectives.
- Elevate RAP implementation - Understand and help implement SBS News and Current Affairs commitments under SBS's Elevate RAP and roadmap, ensuring report requirements, quality and deadlines are met. This includes assisting to develop a NACA First Nations content strategy and planning outline, delivery and post implementation reporting.
It is a requirement of this role that incumbents are fully vaccinated with an approved Covid-19 vaccination in line with the ATAGI guidelines which include booster shots. We do however have a medical exemption process and we would be happy to discuss your application should this be applicable to you.
- Demonstrated understanding of topics and issues of importance to First Nations Australians, the wider multicultural communities and where they intersect and align.
- Sound editorial experience in the production of Australian news and/or current affairs and delivering work to high standards and to time and budget.
- Deep understanding and appreciation of Indigenous cultures & knowledge of protocol.
- A deep commitment to reconciliation and keen understanding of the context of Australia’s Indigenous history.
- Ability to handle and manage sensitive and confidential information.
- Education in media, history, Indigenous studies, social or political science or related qualification or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent community contacts and strong long-standing relationships. Community engagement experience will be high valued.
- Well-developed interpersonal, influencing and relationship-building skills, including an ability to communicate effectively and persuasively.
- Well-developed organisational and administrative skills, including the ability to meet deadlines and determine priorities.
- Adaptability to manage changing priorities, comprehend complex and/or ambiguous information in a timely manner and provide sound advice.
- Demonstrated leadership competencies, including organisation-wide, inclusive thinking; personal accountability; respectful and collaborative approach to team building.
Feel like you meet most, but perhaps not all, the criteria listed? Then send through your details; whilst we have specific requirements in mind, we can look at how we may be able to bridge any gaps.
Some of the reasons to consider working with us
- The people! We truly celebrate and welcome difference at NITV and SBS and encourage everyone to bring their whole self to work you’ll be part of one of the most inclusive companies in Australia!
- The culture and the engagement of our workforce! SBS is ranked in the top 25% of all media companies for employee engagement
- We offer a range of benefits; from flexible work arrangements, health checks, salary packaging, an employee assistance program and for our Sydney based employees, free gym membership and parking (subject to availability).
- We’re agile and innovative in the way we work, as well as being a trusted and established brand. At SBS we have been broadcasting for over 40 years and our future is packed with many more exciting developments!
- We also love to promote from within! We have allocated training funds to do just that and help bridge the gaps when moving from role to role.
Want to learn more? Then hit apply and take the first step to applying not just for another job but a possible whole new career in a purpose led organisation!
Not quite the right role for you? No problem, how about popping your details into our talent pool? Email us at email@example.com to let us know what roles would be of interest to you and we will keep you informed of when they arise! (If you no longer want to be listed in our talent pool, then just email us and let us know and we will remove your detail).
For other opportunities within our organisation please visit our careers website SBS Careers - Working at SBS
SBS recognises that everyone is unique, and you might require some adjustments to ensure you have the best opportunity to apply and put your skills forward for consideration. If we can make some adjustments to the SBS recruitment/interview process to better enable you to shine, then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
Adjustments may include but are not limited to; alternative application methods, interview setups, physical requirements, guidance for trans or gender diverse applicants, specific interview availability times and more.
We are shortlisting applications as they come in, so don’t delay apply today!